The Daily Prompt today got me thinking about things that seemed to take forever when I was a kid that fly by as an adult, and things that flashed by as a kid but are interminable now. I think we can all come up with some examples, and my older reader(s) may come up with a few more.
So I thought “Wait a minute, wasn’t there some fancy physics thingie about that?” So I Googled and, sure enough, Albert Einstein did indeed postulate the Theory of Special Relativity. So I thought “Well, that must be the reason.”
Einstein theorized that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers. So the difference in the perceived time for the same event must mean must mean that somebody is accelerating! Because he also postulated that the speed of life is the same regardless of the speed of the observer. What? What’s that? Oh, the speed of light. Close enough.
Things That Seemed Slow as a Kid and Fast as an Adult
- The school day went on forever, but I can never get anything done at work
- Christmas took forever to come, but I always manage to Christmas shop on December 24th
- Visiting Grandma’s was interminable, but I never get to stay at my folks’ long enough
- Church lasted forever, but the wedding you payed those big bucks for was over in a blink
Things That Flew by as a Kid That Drag on as an Adult
- Summer vacation seemed to last a day, but the summer heat lasts a lifetime
- Saturday cartoons ended before they started, but the Super Bowl broadcast is still going on
- The coin operated horse ride quit before I got anywhere, but that damned loud Magic Fingers thing I tried at the motel went on forever
- My Coke was gone in the bat of an eye, but my draught beer always lasts till it’s warm
I’m sure there are others. Let me know yours in the comments.